Parents Optimizing Language in Kids with Autism (POLKA) Project
These NIH and IES-funded projects examine: (a) specific parent characteristics that influence outcomes of two different parent-mediated language interventions and (b) the effects of a naturalistic play and communication intervention on child social communication skills in toddlers with autism.
Your child may be eligible to participate if he/she:
• Is between 24 and 36 months
• Has autism or you think may have autism
Participants will receive (at no cost):
• A developmental diagnostic evaluation
• Comprehensive language assessments 2 times over 6 to 12 months
• Assessment reports about your child’s language development
• Some money for your time
Participants will be randomly chosen to receive: (a) weekly group intervention sessions for 6 months, (b) weekly individual intervention sessions for 2 months, or (c) weekly individual intervention sessions for 6 months.
If you are interested in participating in the POLKA research project, please complete this form [participation form].